I remember thinking, “When it’s summer and sunny, I won’t feel so down or bored all of the time” during the difficult winter months. Little did I know, how different summertime would be with an infant. Motherhood can often feel like a job of isolation especially when you are a stay-at-home mom but it doesn’t have to be. Here are some summer fun ideas you can do even with an infant!
So grab those flip flops, iced coffee, and sunscreen and prepare to have some
S U M M E R F U N!
*note, I live in the midwest and it gets HOT in the summer. I have found it to be best to plan any summer fun activities for before lunch. Doing this, we get back before lunch and the heat of the day and just in time for our long afternoon nap. (She also sleeps much, much better after a fun morning in the sun. )
- Local Zoo- Living in the St. Louis area, I know I am super spoiled with the St. Louis Zoo, voted #1 in the U.S. for 2017 FYI . We love the zoo. I know not all zoos are free, but they can be a ton of fun for infants from a month old all the way to adulthood. It’s a win for everybody. It’s an awesome way to stimulate your little one’s brain while also being outside. I have been taking my daughter to the zoo since she was 6 weeks old.
- Splash Pad- Splash pads are one of my favorite things to do! These are perfect for little ones that are sitting or standing/beginning to walk. My daughter has been going before she was able to crawl because they have little sprinklers that they can sit and splash in. She loves watching the other kids play around!
- Swimming: It’s a great idea to get your little one used to water early on. Typically, those who start swimming at a young age take to it better. This is a crucial time to get your little one to enjoy water and trust it. Find a friend with a pool, local YMCA, or a community pool. Make it a fun experience for your little one! Instill a happy swimmer now so you don’t have to fight for it later.
4. Early Morning Walks: This is such a simple activity but it’s one to be noted! Walks are great for letting your little one learn about the outdoors. You can point out the trees, flowers, grass, pond, etc… It’s a great way to stimulate their brain while getting them outside!
5. Play Dates: Here is where some of you (if you’re like me) will have to step out of your comfort zone. You will need to be intentional about setting up play dates! I try to have one play date set up a week. It helps keep me sane, knowing I will interact with another adult human during the week and my little one will have fun playing with a friend!
6. Local Library: Instilling a love for learning and reading begins at infancy. It’s crucial to spend time reading to your little one! The library is the perfect place to go in the summer. It’s air conditioned and oftentimes they will have a read aloud or puppet show for your baby to enjoy! OR if your library is cool like mine, it may have an awesome tent and toys for your little one! 😉
7.Picnic: This is something simple you can do! Plan a picnic at the park! You can go for breakfast or lunch! This is something that you can do even with a 1 month old! You can go with just yourself and baby or plan on meeting up with some friends.
8. Peach/Berry Picking at a Farm: One of my favorite things to do is support local farmers. Depending on where you are at, this may not be an option for you. My little one eats sooo much fruit that I consider this a win-win. Grocery shopping AND a fun activity all in one 😉 Our farm we visit also has a tractor ride, bunnies, play ground, and chickens so we can make it as much or as little of an outing as we want for that day.
9. Botanical Gardens/Community Garden: I find this incredibly relaxing and fun! My little one loves to stroll around in her stroller. She loves to look at all of the pretty colors! Our Botanical Gardens even has a splash pad and playground inside!
Whatever you do, remember to be safe! Apply lots of sunscreen, use discretion as far as if it’s too hot to be out, and HAVE FUN!
XOXO One Merry Mama